Dial L for loser is a book about rich girls. It follows the same story line of gossip girl, except it takes place in Westchester. They are not that conceited. Yes, they are really rich and get anything they want or could possibly desire, but if one overlooks this than you can see the real personality of each character. On the outside they seem shallow but really they aren’t, they have feelings just like any other person. I say like this because many people have come to think that rich people are harsh and cold, that they don’t have any humanity in them, that’s not true. Massie, the main character who’s POV the series is told from, is passionate, kind, and willing to help out towards her friends. Yes, I think this book is way more complex than it is shallow.
Although I have grown to love all the characters in the books, I feel more connected to certain people. At some point in the whole series I feel more connected to one character than the other. I guess I feel connected because we share some characteristics in common that make me look away from their money, designer jeans, clothes, bags, big spas in their houses and look at their feelings and problems they are facing. For example when Massie started losing her friends in the third book I felt bad for her. I know what it is to lose a dear friend, they moved away or died, but to lose a friend(s) because they don’t want to be unpopular must hurt a lot. Friends are everything a girl can wish for. If they don’t have friends whom are they going to tell their stories, secrets, crushes to? But let’s not talk about Massie, let’s talk about Claire. She is nothing like the rest of her “friends”. She hasn’t been exactly accepted into her friend’s group she is more or less of an outsider. She does hang out with Massie’s crowd but they ignore her. She is invited but each time they hang out she has to prove to them and herself that she can be cool and popular. She feels the need to change her appearances, personality and traits just to try to fit in. I don’t think that is right. No one should have to prove themselves over and over to their group of friends to see if they fit in. It’s not right. Friends should be the people you trust and have no problem being you around them. Claire is battling with herself on whether or not she should keep pleasing her friends and changing her looks because if she doesn’t she wouldn’t fit in. She is poor; she’s living in Massie’s guesthouse, steals/borrows last season’s clothes from the lost and found to keep her appearances updated. When they all go to the mall she always makes up an excuse on why she can’t buy anything because she can’t afford the rich clothing. The worst thing is she doesn’t tell anyone that she is poor, she keeps it a secret and that’s not good. If your friends are true then you should not have to hide your identity from them.
I can’t relate to this problem at all, I haven’t pressured myself into being a certain type of person so I can hang out with my friends. The thing is I am connected to this character because she is suffering from problems that are relevant to current high school students and middle students who also are trying to fit in. No, I hang out with friends who are true themselves and true to me. My friends can accept any way I look or am. They appreciate me being honest about myself. What can make someone unique are his or her weird outbursts and funny things they say that make them, them. If everyone of my friends tried to be a certain way then they would be boring, everyone would be trying to be perfect and no one should feel pressured to be a certain way. If a friend is a true friend then they can accept you any way you are. Friends are honest to one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment